OAKLAND UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT, OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA
Human Resources Division 1000 Broadway 2 Floor, Oakland CA 94612 (510) 879-4606
- EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Adult and Career Education
Hourly Teacher’s Rate
Responsible to Adult and Career Education Administrator
Date: Until Position Filled
Position: Teacher, English as a Second Language (ESL), Intermediate
Location: Merritt College, 12500 Campus Dr., Oakland, CA
Work Period: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 9 a.m.-11:30 a.m.: Instruction
Friday, 9 a.m.-11:30 a.m.: Training and professional learning community
For Year: 2016-17
Prepare and deliver competency-based ESL instruction to equip adult students with language and
cultural proficiencies so that they may participate fully in American society, and to be ready to
transition to college and career.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide learning environments that enhance the development of language fluency and self-
esteem of learners. Integrate language acquisition within the context of college & career
- Work together with staff to develop and align ESL curriculum that enables student progress
from ESL Literacy through ESL Advanced High, and that integrates college and career
- Develop students’ receptive English-language skills of listening and reading comprehension,
and their productive English-language skills of speaking and writing.
- Apply standards (including College and Career Readiness Standards, ESL Model Standards)
for assessing the major accomplishments of students.
- Integrate English literacy and civics instruction (EL Civics).
- Facilitate student use of technology and blended learning.
- Complete and submit all required data and accountability documentation in a timely
- Valid non-emergency California teaching credential authorizing instruction to adults in the
subject area. (Community college credential is not acceptable.)
- Demonstrated knowledge and teaching experience with adult students focusing on course
planning, instruction, student assessment and evaluation.
- Monitor student progress on the State Department of Education’s English as a Second
Language Model Standards is also required.
- Master’s degree in TESOL, Linguistics or related field preferred, TESOL certificate desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability developing and presenting lessons that include a
variety of innovative communicative activities are essential.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to facilitate blended learning.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain adequate attendance.
- Essential for applicant to be nurturing and skillful in inspiring confidence.
- Demonstrated ability to be accurate and timely in submitting required paperwork to the
- Ability to work in a team of teachers, staff, and administration.
- All applicants should prepare a model lesson plan for presentation at the interview.
Applicants may be asked to offer a demonstration lesson for observation by the interview panel.
NOTE: Assignment to this position is made subject to change and/or cancellation if circumstances