Title: Health Information Specialist
Job Code: 299
Works within the vision, mission, and philosophy of the agency. Ensures that compliance and quality standards of discharged charts and external Release of Information requests (ROIs). Discharged charts and external Release of Information requests (ROIs) are organized and tracked. Feedback provided to programs. Ensures response to external Release of Information Requests. Provides intermediary support and assistance to department staff and other programs in the absence of the Health Information Administrator and Privacy Officer.
1. Conducts and executes continuous quality improvement projects and department specific training.
2. Analyzes medical records for accuracy and completeness based on established protocols and communicates any deficiencies to the caregivers and managers as needed.
3. Reviews discharge charts to ensure correct order, consistency, accuracy, and completion of all reports.
4. Participates in internal and external audit processes and support audit preparation: pulling, organizing, reviewing, and providing other support to Quality Assurance.
5. Screens and responds to requests for release of information from medical records, applying knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations governing appropriate release, and ensures that authorizations are appropriately completed within all legal regulations and guidelines and within the specified time frame adhering to department, agency and county plan.
6. Release of information preparations, validations, and redactions of health information for physician consultations, court order, SSI, consents, care provider request, shadow charts, etc.
7. Prepares medical records in response to subpoenas and depositions, and maintains the Release of Information log.
8. Designs, develops, tests, evaluates, and distributes reports using TIER data from Crystal Reports.
9. Uses information systems in conjunction with paper chart to determine service dates, levels of service, etc.
10. Verifies and authorizes the movement of documents in electronic record.
11. Coordinates training activities and trains other locations and onsite staff on report writing and medical records functions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. All employees are responsible for keeping job requirements up to date. This can include but are not limited to certifications, licensure, and maintaining a clear criminal record.
• Associate’s Degree (AA/ AS) required.
• Bachelor’s Degree (BA/ BS) preferred.
• Minimum one (1) year of direct work experience required.
• Database, Visual Basic, and/or Crystal Reports experience required.
• Basic knowledge of legal issues regarding releases of information and other medical records issues required.
• Technical training on report writing in a database environment required.
• Three (3) years direct work experience preferred.
• Previous experience in a medical/health facility preferred.
Other Specific Requirements
• Must pass Department of Justice (DOJ), Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI), and Child Abuse Index Check (CAIC) background clearance, if applicable.
• Valid California Driver’s license with two years experience driving and clean driving record may be required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
In addition this position requires standing, sitting, walking, climbing, and kneeling.
Employee Statement of Understanding
I have read and understand the job description for my position. I am able to perform all of the essential functions of this position. I agree to successfully complete all required training indicated for this position. I agree to keep all of my required certifications and licenses current and up to date and provide proper documentation of the same to the Human Resources Department. I agree to comply with all Agency policies and procedures. I agree to comply with the agency compliance plan and all laws, rules, regulations and standards of conduct relating to my position. As an employee, I understand my duty to report any suspected violations of the law or the standards of conduct to my immediate supervisor. As an employee, I will strive to uphold the mission and vision of the organization. All employees are required to adhere to the values in all their interactions with youth and families and fellow employees.