Under the direction of the Superintendent, the Director coordinates the implementation of the state testing system for Roanoke City Public Schools; directs, evaluates, and revises the division’s testing methods and procedures to provide the information and process structure necessary to develop and maintain the best educational programs for the division. Coordinates various aspects and requirements of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB) and Virginia’s accountability system. Serves as liaison to the state, test scoring companies, other schools divisions, and to the departments and schools within the school division on matters related to assessment.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude other duties if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment for this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job description. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Provides leadership in the administration of national, state, and local assessments.
- Analyzes and communicates test results to identify strengths and weaknesses in instructional programs and identifies priority areas for improvement.
- Coordinates and assists in the interpretation of the federal guidelines for NCLB to ensure necessary preparations for test administration and proper analysis of test results.
- Serves a lead role in the development of a balanced assessment system for the district in order to accurately assess student mastery of content knowledge and 21st century skills.
- Serves as Director of Testing and as a liaison to the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), scoring vendors, other school divisions, and departments and schools within the school division on matters related to national, state, and local testing.
- Coordinates the continuation of online SOL testing at all schools.
- Effectively communicates guidelines related to test administration and the appropriate use of test results to various groups such as school administrators, school improvement specialists, and the media.
- Provides training to administrators and school improvement specialists in proper test administration and test security protocols.
- Provides leadership and guidance to testing specialists.
- Supervises the ordering of all testing materials and assists with budget planning related to test administration and implementation.
- Maintains security of testing materials and implements policies and practices to prevent potential breaches in security.
- Manages department staff and temporary, part-time staff, to include interviewing, training, supervising and evaluating staff members.
- Coordinates, develops and prepares training materials for each test administration.
- Responds to inquiries from school administrators and the media about assessment results and testing procedures.
- Provides technical assistance to school administrators and school staff regarding test administration.
- Conducts workshops on the state testing system as well as the analysis and interpretation of assessment data for various stakeholders such as individual school planning councils, PTA groups, the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, and the School Board.
- Attends test administration training provided by the state and develops local procedures to ensure compliance with all state mandates and procedures related to testing.
- Works closely with the Department of Technology to ensure accurate data are available for schools and departments to assist with continuous improvement.
- Serves a lead role in developing user-friendly reports to assist central office administrators, school-level administrators, and teachers with analysis and interpretation of assessment results.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Roanoke City Public Schools is an urban school division serving a k-12 student population of 13,100 in 17 elementary schools, 5 middle schools, 2 senior high schools, Forest Park Academy, Noel C Taylor Learning Academy, and Roanoke Valley Governor’s School. A staff of 2,100 is employed in the division. RCPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, disability or national origin.
RCPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs and activities. For inquiries regarding employment non-discrimination policies please contact Human Resources at 540-853-2502.