Under the supervision of the Officer in Charge and Jail Administrator, performs routine protective and responsible human support service work ensuring the care and security of inmates at the East Cleveland City Jail. Essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- processes inmates into the custody of the institution, by searching prisoners, securing inmates’ personal property and providing clothing and beddings;
- operates electronic cell monitoring equipment;
- supervises inmates during meals, exercise, work, recreation, personal hygiene and related activities for conformance to institutional rules and regulations;
- conducts periodic security checks of inmates in assigned area and on institutional grounds;
- conducts periodic cell searches;
- maintains and updates institution log on assigned shift;
- attends to special needs of prisoners;
- escorts and transports inmates as required;
- supervises inmates telephone calls when required;
- ensures the care and maintenance of work and recreational equipment used by inmates;
- supervises inmates in work details and writes inmate misconduct and incident reports.
QUALIFICATIONS: This position requires some knowledge of the practices of modern penology as related to the supervision and care of persons under institutionalized restraint. General knowledge of the security, rules regulations and procedures of the complex is necessary. Must have the ability to enforce institutional rules firmly and fairly, to detect potential behavior problems of inmates and to detect the early symptoms of common health problems. Should be able to carry out oral and written directions accurately and be able to prepare records and reports. Must be able to interact in a professional manner and have good writing skills. Must be able to supervise the activities of large groups of inmates. Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age and possess a high school diploma or GED. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Must undergo Correctional Officer training as required by the State of Ohio. Must be able to work all shifts.
PHYSICAL CONDITIONS AND NATURE OF WORK CONTACTS: Must successfully complete the City of East Cleveland physical. Must be able to operate a motor vehicle. Must be able to physically subdue and restrain an individual. This position requires extensive walking and standing with occasional running and frequent heavy lifting. Requires working in adverse weather. Must be able to work all shifts, including nights, under stressful and sometimes life-threatening conditions.
The City of East Cleveland is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority. Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The City of East Cleveland supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with The Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $13.01 /hour
- High school or equivalent