This position will require a travelling assignment in the Iowa area.
Position Description: Leads, directs and coordinates the work of subcontractors and/or Turner trade labor in the assigned areas. The Assistant Superintendent is responsible for ensuring safety, schedule delivery, quality of work performed and adherence to budget in the assigned areas of the project. The Assistant Superintendent has supervisory responsibility for Field Engineers, Interns and trade labor in his/her area of responsibility.
Reports to: Superintendent or Project Superintendent
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
In the areas assigned:
• Overseeing and making decisions related to the performance of work related to scheduling, delivery, logistics, quality control and trade employee staffing levels.
• Overseeing work among assigned trades to promote a coordinated project operation. Resolving local area problems regarding procedures, precedence, design clarifications, adequate labor and equipment, schedule and all other appropriate matters.
• Managing the site safety program as required and ensuring subcontractor compliance with Turner standards and all applicable safety codes and regulations.
• Supervising and developing Field Engineers and/or interns, as assigned, including providing input on or completing performance appraisals.
• Creating schedules and determining sequencing of work. Developing and implementing recovery strategies to maintain project schedule.
• Communicating with owners and architects/engineers in connection with field issues. Investigating and resolving such issues.
• Managing the billing process as it relates to work in place and overseeing the monthly estimate of work completed, payrolls, material invoices and subcontractor payment applications.
• Having complete knowledge of all contracts, subcontract documents, drawings and specifications, shop drawings, schedules, labor agreements and local codes.
• Managing the work to ensure that it is installed in compliance with and conforms to the approved contract documents.
Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of two years’ related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience. Proven written and verbal communication abilities; proficiency with computer applications, including Microsoft Office suite. Ability to read, understand and interpret contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work and project schedule. Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move heavy weight.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
*May perform other duties as necessary or assigned.
Turner is an Equal Opportunity Employer — minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor